Skip to main content

Women of the Wind: Brandon: Three Desert Fables

We got our recording back!  And I am so pleased with the way it came out.  I would love to just stream the whole thing, but one thing that did not come across was our speaking.  Most of it was cut out, and what you can hear is dim and unclear.  What I’ll do, then, is share one work at a time, and include my introductory material to give it some context. 

The composer Jenni Brandon lives in Southern California.  I first heard of her at the Double Reed convention last summer when a friend of mine played her reed trio.  I thought that the piece was spectacular and got in touch with her- and she promptly sent it to me along with this solo work, Three Desert Fables, which I am proud to present here.

The piece is about symbiotic relationships shared in the biome of the desert.  The first movement explores the Joshua tree itself and its partner the yucca moth.  The moth lays its eggs in the tree's flowers, and the larvae feed upon its seeds, but the moth also serves to pollinate the tree so the two species live together in harmony.  In this work you will hear the Joshua tree, “angular and gnarly”, followed by the moth, "free and majestic".  The two themes then interweave, in a dance of survival.

A chuckwalla is a lizard, and the rock in this movement is not exactly a dynamic character.  The piece is about all of the things the rock represents to the lizard.  First, of course, it radiates heat, so the lizard basking on it is warmed both by the sun and by the rock.  Secondly, it is the surface on which the chuckwalla travels, skittering from place to place.  And this lizard has a trick of crawling into a crevice and then taking rapid breaths to puff itself up and wedge itself in tightly, so nobody can pull him out and eat him.  So in that way the rock also represents protection from predators. 

The Ocotillo cactus is pollinated by the carpenter bees who feed off its nectar.  In this desert waltz you’ll hear the long delicately waving arms of the ocotillo plant, and you won’t miss the bee.

Many thanks to Jenni Brandon for this lovely piece, which I truly enjoyed learning and performing.


Three Desert Fables by Jenni Brandon
Jennet Ingle, oboe

The Joshua Tree and the Moth


The Rock and the Chuckwalla


The Ocotillo and the Bee


Comments

  1. Lovely playing and very interesting pieces--thanks for sharing! Next year our music department is committed to presenting a "Year of Inclusivity," with a goal of ensembles & recital programs consisting of at least 50 % of the music from traditionally underrepresented populations (women/ minorities). I'm very much looking forward to this artistic challenge and your sound files are really helpful in my search for pieces! Question--where can one purchase the McCormick piece? I really enjoyed the structure and would like to perform it. Best wishes, Christa Garvey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Christa!

    I've sent you an email with Dana McCormick's contact info - feel free to poke me again if you need more details!

    Best,

    Jennet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-Saëns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

Breathing and the Brain

I’m working on the Bach E Major Partita, and it’s significantly difficult for me.  Not so much the notes, although E Major is not the most effortless key on the oboe.  Not so much the music-making, although I could work my whole life on solo Bach and never be perfectly satisfied with my choices, because it’s that complex and THAT good.  No, the problem is breathing, and breathing is always a challenging thing for a wind player. Oboists can play long, long phrases with ease. The opening in the reed is so tiny that it really rations the air, so we can play longer lines than any other orchestral wind instrument.  It’s also comparatively easy to circular breathe on the oboe, which means that we can actually take in new air while  playing and maintain an uninterrupted line.  The downside is that an oboist can never fully expel her air through that tiny opening.  We end up with excess carbon dioxide in our lungs, and as we breathe in again the new good air...