Skip to main content

Upcoming Concert - Altered States!


I am so excited about the performance I have Tuesday night.  

Chicago's Fulcrum Point New Music Project is presenting a screening of Ken Russell's 1980 film Altered States, with a 75-piece orchestra performing John Corigliano’s Oscar-nominated score.  The music is amazing.  Trippy.  Difficult.  And I get to be involved!

I’ve done these kinds of gigs before - accompanying a film in real time - and it’s always challenging, both musically and technically.  The material we are playing is often demanding, and the constraints of the format means that the tempo markings are non-negotiable.  We have to start right on time, and play as fast as we have to play, and if things get off we have to make immediate and sometimes unnatural-feeling adjustments.  The job of the conductor, of course, is even more complex than usual.  The more technology is involved, the more he has to be on top of, and the less he controls, if that makes sense.  There is little room for human flexibility and interpretation, and the least error can confuse the whole orchestra, or worse, the audience.

Adding to the difficulty this week is the constrained freedom in the score.   There are many places where we have to play a set of patterns in an improvisational way.  The technically challenging figures are written out for us but we need to place and repeat them in a way that sounds random.  We have to react to other people so that we don’t line up with them, and have to listen to the effect we are creating and keep the material going.  Meanwhile, the measures are still ticking by - fast - in real time, and we have to know exactly where we are so we can stop and move on appropriately.  It’s not the hardest thing I’ve done, but it’s definitely tricky.  I have students who struggle to count beats while trilling - when their fingers get unmetered they have no idea how to keep track of time.  This feels like the same problem, raised to an uncomfortable level.  

All that said, I’m proud and delighted to be doing this work.  The composer was present for our winds-only rehearsal yesterday and will attend the performance.  My own part is not prominent and you won’t hear me, but you should catch this event.  

Details HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-Saëns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

We took a vacation this summer.   This is not news to anyone in my life - anyone who knows me or especially Steve on Facebook followed along with all of our pictures.   We took our travel trailer out to Arizona - via St Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Santa Fe - and then stayed a week in Clarksdale and Flagstaff and visited some ancient pueblo ruins, Sedona, Jerome, the Lowell Observatory, the Grand Canyon.   We swam in swimming pools, lakes, and icy mountain streams.   We hiked.   Eventually we came home again, via Albuquerque, Amarillo, Tulsa, and St Louis. (our inventiveness had somewhat worn out).   After a week at home we took another trip, and drove to Vermont via western NY and the Adirondack Park (stayed an extra day to hike a mountain), lived four days in East Franklin VT, and came home via Catskill and eastern Ohio.   This vacation felt different from all of our previous ones.   In the 21 years we’ve been married, I can name on...