Skip to main content

Zoe is Awesome


Zoe has so much language now, and so many words! What's fun, though, is that the words are very personal. She has excellent diction and is very careful to clearly pronounce the last letter of each word. Often, however, that last letter is wrong, which makes her hilarious.

For More, she says MoNe. Very clearly. For Car, CarDe. Egg is OcKe, and Coffee, CoffeeZe. Even words she used to say correctly have been reinvented. Since she learned to say her own name, ZoEE, which happened surprisingly recently, she has been adding a final EE to lots of words, including NoEE, HepWEE (Help), and HandEE. She is so CutEE.

She also has words that don't resemble ours very much at all. DOUCE for Stairs, KaDoo for Color, CoFoo for Cover, Saoot for Somersault. Pittee for Pictures, which really means my iPhone.

And although she generally only uses one word at a time, she is beginning to combine them a little. She will demand something, and then indicate where she wants it. Mote! HandEE! (I want that remote control in my hand.) Onu! Mouf! (I want that orange in my mouth.) Boke. Yap. (I want to sit in your lap while you read this book to me.)

Honestly, typing this out makes me kind of agree with her system - it's a lot more efficient. There are a lot more keystrokes associated with my version, but she gets the message across just fine. Why bother with grammar rules, anyway?

I don't even think I have a point in this post. Just, Zoe is awesome.

Comments

  1. I will share that when I was Zoe's age, my parents would take my sister and I to visit my father's parents in Miami. I referred to my grandparents, only while in Florida, as Nanazami and Poppizami. We were lacking in technology to record this, but the stories are infamous. (I have pretty good diction today, but I also had to suffer through 18 years of speech therapy, so it's anyone's guess as to where that diction came from)

    As a post script, you guys should come to Philadelphia in the spring or summer so we can take Zoe to the Philadelphia Zoo... The treehouse learning center alone is worth the trip... Not to mention all the natural animal habitats... http://www.philadelphiazoo.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of syllables for a little person, Katazami! Apparently she tried to say Caterpillar today, and it was quite unrecognizable...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-SaĆ«ns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

Breathing and the Brain

I’m working on the Bach E Major Partita, and it’s significantly difficult for me.  Not so much the notes, although E Major is not the most effortless key on the oboe.  Not so much the music-making, although I could work my whole life on solo Bach and never be perfectly satisfied with my choices, because it’s that complex and THAT good.  No, the problem is breathing, and breathing is always a challenging thing for a wind player. Oboists can play long, long phrases with ease. The opening in the reed is so tiny that it really rations the air, so we can play longer lines than any other orchestral wind instrument.  It’s also comparatively easy to circular breathe on the oboe, which means that we can actually take in new air while  playing and maintain an uninterrupted line.  The downside is that an oboist can never fully expel her air through that tiny opening.  We end up with excess carbon dioxide in our lungs, and as we breathe in again the new good air...