Skip to main content

Consistency and Variety

I love the kind of gigs that inspire.  They don’t even have to be good gigs, particularly - I don’t have to enjoy myself (though I almost always do) or make a lot of money to be encouraged by what I hear or see. 

Yesterday I played in the backing orchestra for Jackie Evanchoat Symphony Center in Chicago, and I had almost nothing to do - page after page of tacet numbers and an occasional harmony line or English horn solo.  Although I didn’t really feel like I was earning my keep, I love having the chance to play second oboe.  It’s a treat to be able to really pay attention to another player’s approach and see what I can learn - a little voyeuristic, maybe, but we are, after all, in a performance profession.  The oboist expects to be heard, and hopes to be paid attention to, and I am glad to oblige.   And it’s no burden when the oboist in question is such a consummate professional as Jelena Dirks.  Her playing was lovely, perfectly pitched, and effortlessly controlled throughout the rehearsal and concert we played, and I resolved to work for more beautiful consistency in my own playing - in the absence of a dramatic need to allow my sound out of the box, it might as well stay there, and do so as attractively as hers.  That lesson would alone have been enough, but I was able to draw inspiration from our featured artist as well. 

Jackie Evancho sounded great - much more mature than her twelve years would indicate.  A lovely voice and a smooth and well-coached performance, and the audience loved her.   The programming of the concert played to her strengths exclusively, which is of course what it needed it to do.  Well done, Jackie’s handlers!  All of her phrasing was gentle, heartfelt, intimate, and elegantly behind the beat.  There is nothing in the world wrong with that, but by the end of a two hour concert I was itching for an up-tempo number, or something belted, or something with at least a little momentum to it. 

Immediately I knew what I wanted to do in my next practice session. It’s time to make sure that over the course of my upcoming recital I play something loud and something soft, tempos fast and slow, intimate phrases and rousing ones.  Those contrasts are all built in already, of course - that is part of the programming - but I hadn’t yet worked through seeking the energy arc of the program and how to find and intentionally exaggerate the different elements, and that’s what I felt Jackie, bless her heart, was missing, and that’s what I couldn’t wait to do. 

It’s a project that I normally hit around this time in the cycle, but for some reason I had to be reminded this winter.  I explore, section by section, movement by movement, piece by piece, what the feel of the work is.  What the basic color palette will be.  Within that, where the peaks and valleys of tempo and dynamic are.  Within that, the overall high point and low point of the movement, of the piece, of the recital. 

I was needing this.  We’re a month out from an exciting set of recitals, and I have been treading water in my music for a little while now.  Able to play it, not thrilled by it, and not really clear on what to do next.  This morning, though, I had a great and productive session, working on both consistency of sound and variety of approach.  I can’t wait to get back at it tonight or tomorrow - that’s how satisfying the practice was.  Thank you, Jackie and Jelena!


While I’m on the topic, may I point out a person who is EXPERT at this balance of beautiful timbral consistency with color and variety?  Trevor O’Riordan, that’s who.  Our fabulous principal clarinetist is featured this weekend in the Copland Clarinet Concerto and I cannot wait to hear him play it.  If you are in the area or can get to the area I strongly recommend attending this Sunday’s matinee concert.  Details HERE.

Comments

  1. I feel like I'm trading water on my repertoire now. I have graduate auditions in about a month and I feel stuck. like you described, I can play it but I don't know where to go next.
    I'm excited to read about how your recital goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fan of Ms. Evancho, and very pleased by your thoughtful comments about her performance, I was hoping that you could add to them by suggesting some up-tempo pieces that might suit her? Finding the right material, and new material that fit Jackie's voice is difficult. Also, protecting her voice during this part of her growth vitally important.

    I'd be very interested in your thoughts. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hoffchas, I am so flattered that you would think I had any concept of how to nurture the voice of a talented young singer - but I would not presume to propose repertoire. There are a million songs in the world, and she should sing what she likes. I merely thought that a change in the pacing of the program would have engaged me more as a listener.

    Thank you for your comment - I appreciate your time!

    Jennet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beatriz, that's the hardest part, I think. What to practice after you've practiced all the technique. It's the difference between an OK performance and an amazing one, sometimes, and it requires a lot of creativity in the practice room.

    I don't know if you've been reading for a while - I dug back and found THIS post -http://jennetingle.blogspot.com/2012/03/im-back.html - about kind of the same thing. Maybe it will help you as it helped me last year...

    Best,

    Jennet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-Saëns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

We took a vacation this summer.   This is not news to anyone in my life - anyone who knows me or especially Steve on Facebook followed along with all of our pictures.   We took our travel trailer out to Arizona - via St Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Santa Fe - and then stayed a week in Clarksdale and Flagstaff and visited some ancient pueblo ruins, Sedona, Jerome, the Lowell Observatory, the Grand Canyon.   We swam in swimming pools, lakes, and icy mountain streams.   We hiked.   Eventually we came home again, via Albuquerque, Amarillo, Tulsa, and St Louis. (our inventiveness had somewhat worn out).   After a week at home we took another trip, and drove to Vermont via western NY and the Adirondack Park (stayed an extra day to hike a mountain), lived four days in East Franklin VT, and came home via Catskill and eastern Ohio.   This vacation felt different from all of our previous ones.   In the 21 years we’ve been married, I can name on...