Skip to main content

IDRS Day Four

IDRS Day Four: Impressions

This was the best day of performances by far.  I heard nothing but excellent oboe playing, and the standout was the Berlin Philharmonic’s Christoph Hartmann (ohmygodohmygodohmygod).  He played a program called “Virtuosity” which included about a thousand notes by Lalliet, Skalkottas, and Pasculli, and ended with the most beautifully communicated Poulenc Trio I’ve ever heard.  He was spectacular in his smoothness,  and in the clarity of his phrasing and intentions, and the control he had over the oboe, and the effortlessness of his fingers.  And the thing that stood out to me so much - was that the concert wasn’t perfect.

I heard low notes that didn’t quite speak, and not-quite-pure notes here and there - but I DO NOT IN ANY WAY say this to run him down.  No, the magic was that we believed every musical thing he said, and the tiny misses didn’t detract from that at all.  In the Poulenc, he was just too busy being completely and totally awesome to bother to notice the exact accidentals.  It actually made the piece a little more amazing, even.  More unique.

And this is exactly the point, and where I want to take my own work.  I’d like the technique to be perfect, sure- but mostly I want to be in that place where the whole picture is so compelling that a flaw here and there is actually the best part.  Where the monster that is the oboe is so much under control that we love to hear it fight a little - just so we can tell that it’s hard. 

There is another whole day of IDRS tomorrow, but I am done.  I’ve been away from Zoe too long, and it’s just too much oboe, even for me.  I’m driving home tonight, to be there all day tomorrow, and I have no regrets about my choice.  Today was spectacular, and I’ve learned a ton from the event as a whole.  Now I just need the time to assimilate and work on what I have.  Oh, and my pocketbook can not afford one more sheet music purchase, so it’s extra good that I am escaping now.

What a week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idle Thought

I should be practicing right now. Putting in the hours to prepare for my audition on Monday. But this morning before I left home to teach I chose to use my time making a chicken salad that we could eat for the rest of this busy week, and now after my Notre Dame student I am cheerfully enjoying my lunch at the local coffee house, Zoe snoozing beside me in her car seat. Sometimes it's healthier to use your time taking care of yourself instead of your reeds. Or at least I hope so...

How Do You WISH You Could Describe Your Reeds?

In Reed Club last Monday, we took a moment before we started scraping to set some intentions.  We each said one word - an adjective to describe what we WANTED our reeds to be.  An aspirational adjective. Efficient was a word that came up, and Consistent . Dark and Mysterious . Mellow . Predictable .  Trustworthy .  Honest .  BIGGER . Reed affirmations actually felt helpful - both in the moment and in the results we found as we worked.  I don't know why that surprises me - I set intentions at the beginning of the year, at the beginning of the month, at the beginning of a run, in the morning before I work.  I love a good affirmation.  I love WORDS.  But I'd sort of forgotten about the possibility of applying one to the mundane work of reed-making.   You don't have to know exactly how to GET to that result.  But having clarity in your mind about what that result is?  Helps you to stop going down unhelpful rabbit holes.  Reminds you to seek something beyond competent, beyond

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

We took a vacation this summer.   This is not news to anyone in my life - anyone who knows me or especially Steve on Facebook followed along with all of our pictures.   We took our travel trailer out to Arizona - via St Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Santa Fe - and then stayed a week in Clarksdale and Flagstaff and visited some ancient pueblo ruins, Sedona, Jerome, the Lowell Observatory, the Grand Canyon.   We swam in swimming pools, lakes, and icy mountain streams.   We hiked.   Eventually we came home again, via Albuquerque, Amarillo, Tulsa, and St Louis. (our inventiveness had somewhat worn out).   After a week at home we took another trip, and drove to Vermont via western NY and the Adirondack Park (stayed an extra day to hike a mountain), lived four days in East Franklin VT, and came home via Catskill and eastern Ohio.   This vacation felt different from all of our previous ones.   In the 21 years we’ve been married, I can name only one - maybe two trips we ever took t