Skip to main content

IDRS Day Four

IDRS Day Four: Impressions

This was the best day of performances by far.  I heard nothing but excellent oboe playing, and the standout was the Berlin Philharmonic’s Christoph Hartmann (ohmygodohmygodohmygod).  He played a program called “Virtuosity” which included about a thousand notes by Lalliet, Skalkottas, and Pasculli, and ended with the most beautifully communicated Poulenc Trio I’ve ever heard.  He was spectacular in his smoothness,  and in the clarity of his phrasing and intentions, and the control he had over the oboe, and the effortlessness of his fingers.  And the thing that stood out to me so much - was that the concert wasn’t perfect.

I heard low notes that didn’t quite speak, and not-quite-pure notes here and there - but I DO NOT IN ANY WAY say this to run him down.  No, the magic was that we believed every musical thing he said, and the tiny misses didn’t detract from that at all.  In the Poulenc, he was just too busy being completely and totally awesome to bother to notice the exact accidentals.  It actually made the piece a little more amazing, even.  More unique.

And this is exactly the point, and where I want to take my own work.  I’d like the technique to be perfect, sure- but mostly I want to be in that place where the whole picture is so compelling that a flaw here and there is actually the best part.  Where the monster that is the oboe is so much under control that we love to hear it fight a little - just so we can tell that it’s hard. 

There is another whole day of IDRS tomorrow, but I am done.  I’ve been away from Zoe too long, and it’s just too much oboe, even for me.  I’m driving home tonight, to be there all day tomorrow, and I have no regrets about my choice.  Today was spectacular, and I’ve learned a ton from the event as a whole.  Now I just need the time to assimilate and work on what I have.  Oh, and my pocketbook can not afford one more sheet music purchase, so it’s extra good that I am escaping now.

What a week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDRS 2014 - Day Two and OUT

I'm writing my Day Two report while all of my colleagues and friends, new and old, are well into their Day Three experience.  I was terribly sad to leave NYC, and IDRS.  In past years I've found myself sort of oboe-ed out by the third or fourth day, but I was nowhere near that point last night when I had to begin my schlep to the airport.  On the up side, I am home and spent the morning with Zoe and Steve, and I'm safely on the correct side of Lake Michigan well before my concert tonight, which was the important purpose of my travel plans - but there are SO MANY MORE great events happening at NYU.  Best of luck to everyone performing! Yesterday, among other performances, I enjoyed THREE recitals featuring music for oboe and bassoon.  Be prepared for a husband-wife recital coming down the pike in the next year or two, as I loved much of the new music that I heard.  First I enjoyed hearing ToniMarie Marchioni and two of her colleagues from the University ...

Practice+ App - and my FIRST EVER GIVEAWAY

You know how, when you are practicing, you need to have your metronome on your stand and turn it constantly up and down as you work through a technical passage?  And you also want to play in tune, and make sure you are staying consistent with your pitch.  So while your metronome is clicking away on your stand, you also have to turn half-way around to look at the screen of the big tuner which has to be plugged into the wall because it eats batteries otherwise.  And if you also want to record yourself to listen to your progress, you have to have your laptop on with the big mic plugged into it, and that’s on still another surface, so you have to move your stand around so you can orient to all three, and then your giant stack of music-in-progress falls off the stand and onto the floor and out of order and the next ten minutes are spent not practicing at all but just trying to return to normalcy. Does this sound familiar? I was sent a free promo copy (full disclosure) of an...

Ewazen Concerto This Very Weekend!

Here's the notice I just sent out about this weekend's event.   If you would like to be on my email list, please do join it in the right sidebar - I will never send spam but I will keep you well informed about my upcoming performances, with occasional emails like this.  Of course I do always mention them in this blog too, but sometimes people prefer info to be RIGHT IN THEIR INBOXES... What's going on? This Friday night, November 18 at 8 I will perform with the Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra at DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.  The piece is a great favorite of mine, Eric Ewazen's Down a River of Time .   If you haven't seen this orchestra you are in for a treat, and if you haven't heard the Ewazen then LOOK OUT! I am truly looking forward to this performance and hope to see you there!  Ticket information can be found HERE .  Please feel free to forward this notice widely! What is this gorgeous concerto about? The title of this piece comes from a...