Skip to main content

High Altitude Reeds

So yes, reeds are hard to work with up here.  I don’t know exactly what causes it - the dry climate and the thinness of the air, perhaps, or maybe the same mystical property that makes baked goods fall flat (I won’t be posting pictures of Zoe’s birthday cake - far too humiliating). 

The symptom is that my “normal” reeds - the ones I’ve been happily making my living on for weeks - won’t vibrate.  Just won’t make the oboe play.  Maybe I can squeak out a few wimpy left-hand notes, but nothing more than that, and nothing that sounds good.  And the low register of my instrument feels terrible - unresponsive and mushy - which I understand is also a factor of altitude.  I don’t know why it is, just that it is.  I’ve checked and rechecked the adjustments on both of my oboes and there’s nothing wrong - they just don’t want to vibrate properly.

But honestly, it’s not been all that terrible to work with.  My midwest reeds won’t play, but I made a new batch on a wider shape and scraped them down a ton and they are fine.  I don’t have the cushion of old reliable reeds that I’m used to, but I have three or four new ones that are acceptable, and I’m even getting adequate response in the lowest register now.  And mercifully I arrived three days before I actually had to play, so all this struggle could take place behind the scenes and not in public.  Ten years ago, when I didn’t have the confidence and reed-making skills I have now, I bet I would have struggled a lot, but this is not impossible - just different.

An educational story: when we sat down for the first rehearsal the principal oboist, Sandy Stimson, gave an A to the orchestra, and then looked ruefully at her reed and said, “OK, yup, that’s my sound!”  And that to me was a perfect response.

Let me say that she sounded lovely and not different (to my ears) from sea level.  The reed was obviously excellent.  But of course it sounded and felt different to her, as my reeds sound and feel different to me.  We are so attuned to these little scraps of wood, and they form the entire interface between our bodies and the instrument we play, and even a little change in the weather, much less a 1000+ mile journey and 9600 feet of elevation, can make a noticeable difference. 

But her response to this discomfort with her set-up could have been apologetic.  She could have dived for a reed knife and spent the rest of the rehearsal fussing (and probably making things worse).  She could have fought the perceived problems inside her mouth, exhausting her embouchure muscles over the course of the service.

Instead she accepted the sound she was producing, committed to it, and moved forward, making beautiful music and leading confidently.   I loved and respected her choice.  It’s absolutely the philosophy of the Unfussy Oboist in action, and I couldn’t have done it better myself. 

Comments

  1. It must be the first time you were at such a high altitude, with the oboe at least. I have been at various high places, and it seems that everyone and everything respond differently. No doubt all challenges will be overcome. Much good luck .
    I’ve been meaning to post a note following your faculty recital at St. Mary’s on the 26th, but the words manana, domani, demain kept preempting meaningful action.
    I was disappointed that I didn’t see any of the performers come out to express my gratitude and congratulations. The performance, however, was, sometimes, tinglingly enjoyable. My thoughts may have wandered for a moment but I seem to have heard some notes in the beginning of the concertino that reminded me of a series of notes from Scheherazade. I especially enjoyed M.Jones arrang of Le Tombeau.Is it possible that he knows you and favored you with a greater portion of the piece for the oboe part?
    Hopefully I’ll hear you at Preston Hall. When in Chicago I rarely missed a performance
    .Dimitri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dimitri! Yes, it is the first time I've tried to play at high altitude, and it continues to be an education. At least it's a spectacularly gorgeous place to be struggling in!
    I was wondering if I would see you at the little cookies and punch reception at St Mary's, but I guess we did miss each other. I hadn't noticed that Scheherezade moment, but singing it back to myself I know just the spot you mean.
    I have not, in fact, met Mason Jones, but le Tombeau de Couperin has always been a big oboe piece - the only real additions in the quintet version are there to cover holes left by the lack of strings and English horn.
    I'm always so glad to see your comments on this blog - you pay such close attention and it really keeps me honest!

    Best,

    Jennet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often have to travel and play between sea level places and high(er) altitude places. What I found works best is to prepare reeds that are on their way to being balanced, but still have a good amount of cane left, and are about 1 - 1.5 mm longer than finished length. That leaves room to finish the reed on site. If time is a factor and you know you won't have much time to adjust the reed, I would say make a slightly flat, slightly too vibrant reed that can then be clipped, if necessary. Often, I find altitude "finishes" the reed for me. Where at sea level, the reed might have been too flat, loose, and noisy, going up in altitude tightens the reed up, and raises the pitch. Sometimes.
    Another recommendation is to temporarily forgo using the crow to make reeds. (I might not make friends with this statement!!) Normally, yes, using the C-crow and all that is a pretty good guide to producing an in-tune vibrant reed. However, with abrupt altitude changes both the oboist and the reed are affected. Make and adjust the reed to your mouth. Just do a lot of play testing to make sure you can comfortably get notes out in tune. Sometimes the reed will crow a B, sometimes a C# when doing it this way. At least, though, the reed is comfortable and you will get through the performances and rehearsals. It won't help if the reed is crowing "C" but the oboist is playing too sharp. Sometimes the muscles just get weak - that's all. Eventually, if you were staying in the high-altitude place for a long time, you would get used to it, and you could carry on making reeds as usual. This is just a coping technique.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-Saëns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

Breathing and the Brain

I’m working on the Bach E Major Partita, and it’s significantly difficult for me.  Not so much the notes, although E Major is not the most effortless key on the oboe.  Not so much the music-making, although I could work my whole life on solo Bach and never be perfectly satisfied with my choices, because it’s that complex and THAT good.  No, the problem is breathing, and breathing is always a challenging thing for a wind player. Oboists can play long, long phrases with ease. The opening in the reed is so tiny that it really rations the air, so we can play longer lines than any other orchestral wind instrument.  It’s also comparatively easy to circular breathe on the oboe, which means that we can actually take in new air while  playing and maintain an uninterrupted line.  The downside is that an oboist can never fully expel her air through that tiny opening.  We end up with excess carbon dioxide in our lungs, and as we breathe in again the new good air...