Skip to main content

COMMUNICATING Through the Mask

I was just trying to pick up my kid’s prescription at the pharmacy.

No, it’s INGLE.  EYE ENN GEE ELLL EEEE.  

Between the mask covering half my face and the plexiglass barrier, I was almost reduced to charades as I tried to communicate a simple order.  

And we’ve all discovered this lately, I’m sure.  When you are wearing a mask and trying to speak with someone else, you have to enunciate MUCH more than normal.  You have to slow down and say all of the words distinctly.  You might have to rephrase, to use more distinctive sounding words.  Expressive eyebrows are helpful.  It takes EFFORT to communicate in this age of COVID.

But you know what? We HAVE this skill already.  As performers, we know what it is to have to heighten our affect and PROJECT our intentions beyond our bodies.  We know that although we FEEL the music deeply within ourselves, that feeling doesn’t necessarily translate to an audience unless we SEND it there. 

Practicing in my room, I can mumble.  I can let the work I’m doing with my fingers and tongue in a technical passage be the only thing I care about, or can gloss over the “boring” parts that I already know.  I can let the dynamics all be relative, all sort of related to MF, if my focus is not on them. 

But once I’m in front of an audience, whether that’s in a formal hall (remember those?) or a classroom (right?) or even just in front of Zoom demonstrating something for a student or giving a livestream recital - once I’m performing for someone else, it’s no longer about me. It’s about COMMUNICATION. 

It takes real energy to get your musical ideas OUT of your body, THROUGH the oboe, and ACROSS space TO another person.  At the best of times this is difficult - I used to say things in lessons like, “I see a diminuendo on the page, and I SORT of even heard it.  But I’m sitting five feet from you, I’m looking at the music, and I’m being paid to give you my undivided attention right now.  Would anyone else have believed you did it?”  

Now I say things like, “Zoom is weird, and if you tell me you did a huge exaggerated dynamic change between that Forte and that Piano I will take you at your word.  But I sure didn’t hear it.  Can you make me believe in your dynamic plan?”   And you know what? They can.  Zoom IS weird, but you can communicate through it, it just takes more energy than you expect. 

And this is the point.  We’re not in a normal time right now, but the lessons we’re learning from performing and teaching on line AND from striving for connection in a locked down world can take us forward into the future.  Push yourself to reach out harder, to communicate better. Might we emerge from this time as MORE GENEROUS PERFORMERS? 

It’s just like speaking through a mask. Put extra energy into your communication style these days - and put that extra energy into performing on your instrument, always!  

The musical connection, the HUMAN connection? It's WORTH the effort.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Beauty of Sound

In our dress rehearsal Saturday afternoon, the conductor did exactly what I often do to my students - he asked the violins to play more beautifully, and they did.  He didn’t tell them how, or give them a flowery expressive speech, he just asked for more beauty of sound, and they immediately gave it to him.  To a great extent the sound we produce is set, based on our equipment and the shape of our mouths and our bodies - but it can be altered, too.  Adjustments in reeds and instruments can go a long way, but the key change we can make is in our own minds. I don’t know how to explain it physically, but if you determine the sound you want to make you can produce it.  Or at least you can lean in and approach it.  This is something I’ve been paying a lot of attention to lately in my own playing.  As I prepare the Saint-Saëns Sonata to perform on our Oboe Studio Recital (tonight at 7 - details HERE ), my approach is largely about beauty of sound and vibrato....

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

We took a vacation this summer.   This is not news to anyone in my life - anyone who knows me or especially Steve on Facebook followed along with all of our pictures.   We took our travel trailer out to Arizona - via St Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Santa Fe - and then stayed a week in Clarksdale and Flagstaff and visited some ancient pueblo ruins, Sedona, Jerome, the Lowell Observatory, the Grand Canyon.   We swam in swimming pools, lakes, and icy mountain streams.   We hiked.   Eventually we came home again, via Albuquerque, Amarillo, Tulsa, and St Louis. (our inventiveness had somewhat worn out).   After a week at home we took another trip, and drove to Vermont via western NY and the Adirondack Park (stayed an extra day to hike a mountain), lived four days in East Franklin VT, and came home via Catskill and eastern Ohio.   This vacation felt different from all of our previous ones.   In the 21 years we’ve been married, I can name on...