Skip to main content

COMMUNICATING Through the Mask

I was just trying to pick up my kid’s prescription at the pharmacy.

No, it’s INGLE.  EYE ENN GEE ELLL EEEE.  

Between the mask covering half my face and the plexiglass barrier, I was almost reduced to charades as I tried to communicate a simple order.  

And we’ve all discovered this lately, I’m sure.  When you are wearing a mask and trying to speak with someone else, you have to enunciate MUCH more than normal.  You have to slow down and say all of the words distinctly.  You might have to rephrase, to use more distinctive sounding words.  Expressive eyebrows are helpful.  It takes EFFORT to communicate in this age of COVID.

But you know what? We HAVE this skill already.  As performers, we know what it is to have to heighten our affect and PROJECT our intentions beyond our bodies.  We know that although we FEEL the music deeply within ourselves, that feeling doesn’t necessarily translate to an audience unless we SEND it there. 

Practicing in my room, I can mumble.  I can let the work I’m doing with my fingers and tongue in a technical passage be the only thing I care about, or can gloss over the “boring” parts that I already know.  I can let the dynamics all be relative, all sort of related to MF, if my focus is not on them. 

But once I’m in front of an audience, whether that’s in a formal hall (remember those?) or a classroom (right?) or even just in front of Zoom demonstrating something for a student or giving a livestream recital - once I’m performing for someone else, it’s no longer about me. It’s about COMMUNICATION. 

It takes real energy to get your musical ideas OUT of your body, THROUGH the oboe, and ACROSS space TO another person.  At the best of times this is difficult - I used to say things in lessons like, “I see a diminuendo on the page, and I SORT of even heard it.  But I’m sitting five feet from you, I’m looking at the music, and I’m being paid to give you my undivided attention right now.  Would anyone else have believed you did it?”  

Now I say things like, “Zoom is weird, and if you tell me you did a huge exaggerated dynamic change between that Forte and that Piano I will take you at your word.  But I sure didn’t hear it.  Can you make me believe in your dynamic plan?”   And you know what? They can.  Zoom IS weird, but you can communicate through it, it just takes more energy than you expect. 

And this is the point.  We’re not in a normal time right now, but the lessons we’re learning from performing and teaching on line AND from striving for connection in a locked down world can take us forward into the future.  Push yourself to reach out harder, to communicate better. Might we emerge from this time as MORE GENEROUS PERFORMERS? 

It’s just like speaking through a mask. Put extra energy into your communication style these days - and put that extra energy into performing on your instrument, always!  

The musical connection, the HUMAN connection? It's WORTH the effort.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDRS 2014 - Day Two and OUT

I'm writing my Day Two report while all of my colleagues and friends, new and old, are well into their Day Three experience.  I was terribly sad to leave NYC, and IDRS.  In past years I've found myself sort of oboe-ed out by the third or fourth day, but I was nowhere near that point last night when I had to begin my schlep to the airport.  On the up side, I am home and spent the morning with Zoe and Steve, and I'm safely on the correct side of Lake Michigan well before my concert tonight, which was the important purpose of my travel plans - but there are SO MANY MORE great events happening at NYU.  Best of luck to everyone performing! Yesterday, among other performances, I enjoyed THREE recitals featuring music for oboe and bassoon.  Be prepared for a husband-wife recital coming down the pike in the next year or two, as I loved much of the new music that I heard.  First I enjoyed hearing ToniMarie Marchioni and two of her colleagues from the University ...

Practice+ App - and my FIRST EVER GIVEAWAY

You know how, when you are practicing, you need to have your metronome on your stand and turn it constantly up and down as you work through a technical passage?  And you also want to play in tune, and make sure you are staying consistent with your pitch.  So while your metronome is clicking away on your stand, you also have to turn half-way around to look at the screen of the big tuner which has to be plugged into the wall because it eats batteries otherwise.  And if you also want to record yourself to listen to your progress, you have to have your laptop on with the big mic plugged into it, and that’s on still another surface, so you have to move your stand around so you can orient to all three, and then your giant stack of music-in-progress falls off the stand and onto the floor and out of order and the next ten minutes are spent not practicing at all but just trying to return to normalcy. Does this sound familiar? I was sent a free promo copy (full disclosure) of an...

Ewazen Concerto This Very Weekend!

Here's the notice I just sent out about this weekend's event.   If you would like to be on my email list, please do join it in the right sidebar - I will never send spam but I will keep you well informed about my upcoming performances, with occasional emails like this.  Of course I do always mention them in this blog too, but sometimes people prefer info to be RIGHT IN THEIR INBOXES... What's going on? This Friday night, November 18 at 8 I will perform with the Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra at DeBartolo Performing Arts Center.  The piece is a great favorite of mine, Eric Ewazen's Down a River of Time .   If you haven't seen this orchestra you are in for a treat, and if you haven't heard the Ewazen then LOOK OUT! I am truly looking forward to this performance and hope to see you there!  Ticket information can be found HERE .  Please feel free to forward this notice widely! What is this gorgeous concerto about? The title of this piece comes from a...