Skip to main content

I Love Auditions


I love auditions.  No, I do, really.  First of all, I like the game of it.  Fifty people come to the hall, one leaves victorious.  The drama is deeply fun. 

I love playing auditions.  Picture it - you get to walk out onto an unfamiliar but beautiful stage, the home stage of an orchestra better than yours. You have the entire space to yourself.  Gazing up into the rows of darkened seats, you can take deep breaths and choose the perfect moment in which to break the silence.  You can stand there for up to fifteen minutes, playing all of the BEST and most famous solos for your instrument, to an audience that is listening intently and wanting you to succeed.  You can take these solos at the tempo you choose, in the style you like.  No conductor is trying to alter your vision of the piece. It’s all for you. 

I love sitting behind the screen, too.  It’s fascinating to listen to other people audition, and to hear what their preparation has brought to the table.  Humans are amazing, right? I love watching the Olympics for the same reason - the divers, figure skaters, gymnasts, ski jumpers, etc are artists as well as athletes, and although I know nothing of these sports I find that I can quickly learn to discriminate between the ones that are merely good and the ones that are astounding.  It quickly becomes clear what skills are difficult, and what separates the winners and losers. 

In an audition context, even when it’s not MY instrument being auditioned, I rapidly develop a sense of what skills are difficult for the instrument involved, and once it’s clear what I’m listening for I can sit back and root for them all. It’s amazing to notice how people choose to compensate for the difficulties.  And it’s fascinating to observe the qualities that will really make me sit up and take notice.  If a candidate comes in and begins immediately to make music, to do something intentional and beautiful and controlled - I’m on their side instantly.  I’m hoping they get through the tricky passages, I’m wanting them to succeed.  Honestly, I want everyone to succeed, but once you grab my attention by doing something beautiful, I’m all in for you. All I want is to hear great playing - and every ten minutes there’s a new person filled with new potential.  This is what makes it fun to sit on a committee. 

And for my own playing, I can really draw inspiration from the best players we hear.  What IS it that makes the difference?  Did you hear that PERFECT slur up to the high note? I bet I could do something like that! 

It’s even inspiring to notice what keeps the non-winners out of the running.  Very often it’s not about mistakes that happen in their lists, but simply a lack of attention to detail.  Sometimes particular slurs are sloppy, or articulations don’t quite sound clean, or phrases aren’t perfectly cared for.  The playing is FINE, but not great.  I love hearing these reminders to take care of my own house, right? To make sure that even in my day-to-day playing I am vigilant about the small sloppinesses that can creep up.  That I remain unimpeachable even in my BASIC, non-audition work.

I love auditions.  I love everything about them.  Don’t you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IDRS 2014 - Day Two and OUT

I'm writing my Day Two report while all of my colleagues and friends, new and old, are well into their Day Three experience.  I was terribly sad to leave NYC, and IDRS.  In past years I've found myself sort of oboe-ed out by the third or fourth day, but I was nowhere near that point last night when I had to begin my schlep to the airport.  On the up side, I am home and spent the morning with Zoe and Steve, and I'm safely on the correct side of Lake Michigan well before my concert tonight, which was the important purpose of my travel plans - but there are SO MANY MORE great events happening at NYU.  Best of luck to everyone performing! Yesterday, among other performances, I enjoyed THREE recitals featuring music for oboe and bassoon.  Be prepared for a husband-wife recital coming down the pike in the next year or two, as I loved much of the new music that I heard.  First I enjoyed hearing ToniMarie Marchioni and two of her colleagues from the University ...

The Blog has MOVED

 Have you been waiting ... and waiting ... and WAITING for a new Prone Oboe post?  Don't wait here anymore!  The blog has moved to https://jennetingle.com/prone-oboe/  and will not be updated here on Blogger anymore.  Please come and check me out there!  I love you all - stay safe out there!  Jennet

Practice+ App - and my FIRST EVER GIVEAWAY

You know how, when you are practicing, you need to have your metronome on your stand and turn it constantly up and down as you work through a technical passage?  And you also want to play in tune, and make sure you are staying consistent with your pitch.  So while your metronome is clicking away on your stand, you also have to turn half-way around to look at the screen of the big tuner which has to be plugged into the wall because it eats batteries otherwise.  And if you also want to record yourself to listen to your progress, you have to have your laptop on with the big mic plugged into it, and that’s on still another surface, so you have to move your stand around so you can orient to all three, and then your giant stack of music-in-progress falls off the stand and onto the floor and out of order and the next ten minutes are spent not practicing at all but just trying to return to normalcy. Does this sound familiar? I was sent a free promo copy (full disclosure) of an...