Skip to main content

Women of the Wind!


Friends, Readers, Casual Internet Passers-By,

I am delighted to announce my winter program: Women of the Wind!

It's an oboe and flute duo recital, featuring myself, Martha Councell-Vargas, and pianist Ketevan Badridze.  Martha and I have been talking for years about collaborating on a program, and working on this one with her has been an absolute joy!  You know that feeling when you’ve been friends with someone for a long time but never really worked together professionally, and then you get together and read a duet and it’s like you are two halves of the same person and everything is easy because you really feel the music the same way and have the same goals and also are beautifully in tune?  It’s like that!

Join us to explore gorgeous, tempestuous, intelligent, beautiful music by 20th and 21st Century female composers.   From the Coronation of Princess Isabelle to the chuckwalla lizard of the Mojave desert, these works are sure to transport you.  You don't know them - yet - but you'll leave humming them just like we do.

The details:

Sunday, February 24, 2013, 3:00 pm CST
Valparaiso University
Duesenberg Hall

Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 7:30 pm EST
Western Michigan University
Dalton Center Recital Hall

Saturday, March 2, 2013, 3:00 pm EST
Notre Dame University
Snite Museum: Annenberg Hall

All of these events are free and open to the public.  Please join us!






.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idle Thought

I should be practicing right now. Putting in the hours to prepare for my audition on Monday. But this morning before I left home to teach I chose to use my time making a chicken salad that we could eat for the rest of this busy week, and now after my Notre Dame student I am cheerfully enjoying my lunch at the local coffee house, Zoe snoozing beside me in her car seat. Sometimes it's healthier to use your time taking care of yourself instead of your reeds. Or at least I hope so...

How Do You WISH You Could Describe Your Reeds?

In Reed Club last Monday, we took a moment before we started scraping to set some intentions.  We each said one word - an adjective to describe what we WANTED our reeds to be.  An aspirational adjective. Efficient was a word that came up, and Consistent . Dark and Mysterious . Mellow . Predictable .  Trustworthy .  Honest .  BIGGER . Reed affirmations actually felt helpful - both in the moment and in the results we found as we worked.  I don't know why that surprises me - I set intentions at the beginning of the year, at the beginning of the month, at the beginning of a run, in the morning before I work.  I love a good affirmation.  I love WORDS.  But I'd sort of forgotten about the possibility of applying one to the mundane work of reed-making.   You don't have to know exactly how to GET to that result.  But having clarity in your mind about what that result is?  Helps you to stop going down unhelpful rabbit holes.  Reminds you to seek something beyond competent, beyond

Don't Wait For It

 Don’t wait for it. The lowest notes on the oboe are notoriously difficult to play. They don’t want to speak, they MIGHT splatter, they are SLOW to respond, they feel flat. And if your instrument is even slightly out of adjustment, they can be even more resistant - sometimes literally impossible. And some students WAIT for that low note to come before they go on, and THIS disrupts the rhythm, the tempo, the flow of the piece, and the musical line they are trying to create.  It distracts the listeners, it throws the ensemble off.  The pianist has to lurch to catch them, the conductor has to stop and yell.   One missed note, or one note that doesn’t quite speak - THAT doesn’t ruin your communication. But the distraction and disruption for both you and your listener that happens when YOU acknowledge the problem, when YOU make us all wait patiently for the response of a low C - that’s when you lose us. I think every low note has three possibilities within it. 1. It can “ghost”, or fail to